Saturday, October 3, 2009

Well, an update...

...but I don't know where to start...Gina and I are doing fine. We have our little squabbles and whatnot, but that's okay - couples do that. On the whole, we're really doing pretty well (6 year anniversary coming up - YAY!!).
Since quitting the band, I've been at loose ends, somewhat. I'm supposed to go over and jam with a friend sometime this week or next, in hopes of putting together a band or something...but I'm not sure if I'm feeling it...today while Gina was gone (to her friend Crystal's house for Halloween Decorating and such) I played on the GarageBand app on our Mac Mini. It's basically a virtual studio, and you can make mp3s and whatnot. I made an mp3 out of a song I wrote years ago. The mix is a bit wonky and I haven't yet learned how to program my drum machine (just let it play) so the drum track is a little skewed - well, okay, the whole production is a bit of a mess. But it was more fun and more liberating working on that song and having it come out the way it did than it was playing bass in the band the last year or so...even beforehand, really. I actually worked on two songs today. I 'finished' one (got a basic drum-guitar-bass guitar-vocal mix on it, anyway - the song is called 'Concrete Garden') and am almost done with the other (a song I've had lying around for about 20 years called 'Feeling Better') except for the lead guitar track...in every band I've been in, I've always had to struggle to bring the fruits of my creative labor to the table. Every time, however, that I work with one other person (my good friend Amy Clinkscales; or the redoubtable Jim Kelly of 'Concrete Rhino' fame, also a good friend of mine), I not only have better luck doing my own thing (so to speak), but I find myself listening more to her/him and putting forth more of an effort towards actually collaborating. As for my solo works, the only one that gets in the way is me (for better or worse).
More and more, I'm starting to think that a band w/any more than 3 people total is a bad idea...tomorrow I believe I'll work on 'Feeling Better' some more, and maybe another song after that...we'll just have to see how it goes...

No comments: