Monday, August 18, 2008

Howdy...Yeah, I know it's been a while...I didn't want this blog to turn into a rant & rave type of thing, so I figured I would wait until I got inspired by something happy...of course, I realized that when I'm in the middle of something good or happy, I don't want to write about it - I simply want to enjoy it...if I'm feeling blue or bugged about something, well, of course I'm more inclined to write about it, because that's my way of processing it, digesting it, and, well, crapping it out (a rather crude - yet effective - way of putting it, I think)...so on with the rant...
There are times I really hate being in a band. All the little egos and personalities all clashing, just like Rush Limbaugh and Keith Olbermann at a cocktail party...there are a lot of specifics to deal with in this particular band, but what it comes down to is this: I really hope we don't chase our new guitarist away...he seems like a good guy, and I really like the way he plays. However, due to circumstances not really beyond our control (I mad-dogged him for an entire song for stepping all over my intro, and our other guitarist and I keep trying to goad him to put on more of a stage show by running into him and whatnot - with predictably mixed results), he may be thinking about whether he wants to be in the band...or not. The other guitarist is all about putting on a wild stage show and keeps pushing it onto the new guy. Granted, he was told that he would be expected to get kinda wild onstage, and he said he'd be into it...now, he's got a wireless setup, and is still rooted to the same spot...I'm thinking that he still feels rather new (his very first gig w/us was in May) and is still kinda learning the material (material that 4/5 of the band have been doing for about a year now). I would think that he'd have the songs down by now and would be thinking about his stage show, but maybe he's just not into the whole 'let's-run-around-and-hang-from-the-ceiling' school of performing...
And our singer/booking agent wants our lives to be booked five months ahead of time so he can book the band four months ahead of time...boo...I understand that most club owners need to have things booked ahead of schedule so they can CTA, but - boo...

No comments: