Saturday, September 20, 2008

I took my wife out on a date last night - a real, honest-do-goodness date...we live in such a cool part of town that we can actually walk to movie theaters and restaurants and such, so I thought I'd take her on a walking date...we first ambled over to a restaurant called 'The Hornet', on 1st and Broadway. It's a little upscale, but not intimidatingly so...they have a few Mexican dishes, sandwiches and burgers, and some comfort-food favorites ...Gina had the Poblano Tamales and I had the Penne Creole - and it was good. I highly recommed it. We then went to the Mayan Theatre - on the opposite corner of 1st and Broadway - to see what was playing...well, we'd gotten out of The Hornet at around 7:30, and the earliest movie didn't start until 9:20...hmmmmm...so I suggested (for lack of actual planning) that we go to the Big Lots across the street to kill some time. Gina was skeptical - mainly because she didn't think that we'd be able to kill an hour and a half at Big Lots (of course she was dead on) -but I really didn't have to twist her arm (she found some cupcake cups there). I kinda thought that the date was steadily going down the shitter ("Hey, baby, let's go over to Big Lots and the Goodwill and get all crazy tonight") - indeed, we were headed in the direction of the Goodwill - when we stumbled onto a coffee shop/wine bar in between Ellsworth and Bayaud on Broadway. I forget what it was called, but it was set up to look like an old-time Italian coffee bar and not without a certain charm. The date was back on track. We went in and had some coffee drinks ( I had a Mocha, I believe) and just shot the bull for a while. We went back to the Mayan and saw a movie called "In Search of the Midnight Kiss", an indie film shot in black-and-white about a struggling screenwriter, recently moved to LA, who reluctantly (at the behest of his friend) places a want a on Craigslist. The woman who answers the ad...I won't throw any spoilers atcha, but it's a really groovy movie...we then had a nice, leisurely stroll home (we only live about 9 blocks away)...Date nights are fun. I recommend them for those of you who have potential dates...I suppose that's all for now - see ya soon...

3 comments:

Gina said...

Aw, that's sweet that you blogged about our date. :) I had a good time. You can take me on a date whenever you want to, even if we do go to Goodwill....

Shoshanah Marohn said...

Nice... "let's get lost" sort of date.

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that you take your wife out on dates, and not just cos she's my best friend! :)