Tuesday, July 22, 2008

At the moment (at most all moments, actually), my thoughts overwhelm me...
Ghhodd...I hate my job...I'm a clerk for an insurance company (I won't say which one), and it's my job to send out denial letters and pre-ex investigation letters pretty much all day...it seems like insurance companies (this one, anyhow) sell insurance and then try to find ways in which to deny the benefits of said insurance. I suppose some insurance companies are good (the insurance Gina and I are on, for example), but not the geezers I work for...anyway, the work itself, though less-than-inspiring, would almost be tolerable if not for the snake-pit of human offal I happen to rub elbows with on a daily basis...I work with a couple of other clerks - one temp and one permanent (?) hire, and they are cool - the permanent hire and I, in fact, clown each other all day and generally have a good time. It's certainly a welcome distraction from the general madness that goes on otherwise...don't get me wrong - not everybody is a full-blown freak. I work with clerks and nurses. The clerks, as I said, are cool (of course, I'm a clerk as well, so that could cloud my judg...nah! They're cool people). Of the nurses, I'm friends with two. I 'get along' with all of them, but there's a cabal amongst them that always picks people apart, monitors behavior (lunchtimes, etc.), and generally behaves as though they run the show. Our 'team lead' is one of those people who always has too much on their plate, trains people in a shorthand that you're expected to know from the get-go, and often dines with these people at lunch. My manager has a hands-off style of management. That's good if you just want to do your job without micro-management issues getting in the way. It's bad, however, if you need someone of power to act in your behalf for any reason or if you need any type of guidance whatsoever. He's really concerned that the nurses meet their numbers, that we get our letters all sent out in a timely fashion (today! today! today!), that everything looks good on paper. He's also rather abrupt, refuses to listen to any side of the story save his own, and generally behaves as though he's too important to bother with you if you have concerns...he also dines, on occasion, with the aforementioned 'cabal', which bothers me somewhat; if only because, by his dining with them, he reinforces the idea that he's on their side in any dispute. Granted, he's known some of those nurses for a very long time (a few of them worked with him at another company altogether), but it strikes me as very unprofessional to fraternize with the people who work for you. And HR would side with him (they almost always side with management - I've seen it happen here too many times with other employees)...look - I know I'm simply rambling, and I should quit and go find something else...I merely felt the need to get it out and in the blog so I can actually see it so maybe I can get off my ass and go find another job or go to school so I can actually do something with the considerable intelligence I have at my disposal...I do believe I'll have more later, but for now, my thoughts overwhelm me again...

PS - Ellipses rule...

1 comment:

Gina said...

I hate those jerks you work with, and I don't even know them. But I do know that your boss walks like a tightass.